Lemon-Sumac Alaska Pink Salmon Bowl
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 29 min, not including cooking rice
- Servings: 4
- Yield: 4 entree bowls
For the lemon-sumac vinaigrette (makes 1 cup)
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- Juice of one orange
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. sumac
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 12 oz. can Alaska Pink Salmon
For the brown rice and chickpeas
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. kosher salt
- 1 Tbs. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 12 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ avocado, with seed and skin removed
- 1 red beet, spiralized
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted and tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper
- 4 Tbs. fried Chinese shallots
For the salad
- 3 cups fresh baby arugula
- ½ head fennel, shaved
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 Tbs. lemon-sumac vinaigrette
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
Step 1 Prepare the salmon
Open the can of salmon and drain the liquid. Sort through the meat and remove all bones and excess fat. Place in a small metal bowl and set aside.
Prepare the vinaigrette. Place all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette into a metal bowl. Using a whisk, combine the ingredients and taste for seasoning. Pour half of the vinaigrette onto the salmon and using a spoon, fold the vinaigrette over the salmon. Keep in mind to preserve the chunks as whole as possible while thoroughly coating the salmon. Set aside.
Step 2 Prepare brown rice and chickpeas
Place a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat and add the butter. Let the butter melt. Stir to toast and lightly brown the butter, about 7 minutes. Add the diced onion, garlic and celery. Using a spoon, stir to incorporate the vegetables into the butter. Add salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until vegetables are translucent, about 10 minutes. Once vegetables are cooked and translucent, add the frozen peas. Stir to incorporate. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and set aside.
Step 3 Assemble and serve
In 4 large soup or pasta bowls. Spoon the rice and chickpea mix to the side of the bowl. Keep in mind to evenly distribute the mix so everyone gets the same amount.
Add the marinated salmon next to the rice and peas. Garnish with almonds and fried onions.
Place the salad off to the side and add the avocado and top with the spiralized beets. Spoon the remaining vinaigrette evenly over the bowls.