1 3.3 lb. pouch or 64 oz. can* red or pink Alaska
Salmon, drained (reserve liquid)
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
3 cups yellow onions, diced
1 1/2 lbs. broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
2 Tbsp. vegetable or fish base
3 cups water, cold
3 qts. milk
14 oz. (3 cups) frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
6 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
*For canned, remove skin and bones
- In large bowl, gently break salmon into large chunks. Set aside along with reserved liquid.
- Heat butter in large saucepan. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add broccoli and sauté with onions several minutes.
- Combine base and 3 cups of water to make stock. Add to onions and broccoli and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add milk, corn, parsley and reserved salmon liquid.
- Blend cornstarch with 1 cup of cold water. Add to soup and simmer, stirring constantly until thickened. Add salmon chunks and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Hold hot for service.
- To serve, portion 1 cup into each bowl.
Garnish chowder with small amount of Alaska Surimi Seafood or smoked Alaska Salmon.