Coconut Poached Alaska Halibut with Mango-Avocado Salsa
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion (1 1/2 ounces)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1, 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 ounce)
- 2, 13.5-ounce cans coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 4, 6-ounce frozen Alaska halibut fillets
- 3 cups spinach, bok choy or chard (optional)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Steamed jasmine rice, for serving (about ½ cup per person)
Step 1 Prepare the halibut
Run frozen Alaska halibut fillets under cold water to remove any ice glaze and pat dry with a paper towel.
Step 2 Sauté the aromatics
Heat the coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger, and cook until everything is aromatic and the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
Step 3 Combine sauce and cook halibut
Pour in the coconut milk, soy sauce, salt, and vinegar, and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil, add the halibut, and reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer. Cover and cook until halibut is just cooked through and opaque, about 10-12 minutes depending on thickness and doneness. Halibut should be opaque and flake easily with a fork. Carefully transfer halibut to a plate.
Step 4 Cook optional greens
With the heat still on, throw in spinach or other leafy greens into the poaching liquid. Using tongs, mix until just wilted (about 2 minutes), then remove.
Step 5 Make the salsa
While the halibut is poaching, mix together the mango, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt to taste. If you like a little heat you can add a pinch of cayenne as well.
Step 6 Plate and serve
Serve poached halibut over steamed jasmine rice. Spoon some of the poaching liquid on top, then top with mango-avocado salsa.