Banh Mi Alaska Sablefish Sliders
- Prep Time: 1 hr 30 min includes minimum marinating/pickling time
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Yield: 1.5 oz sablefish and vegetables per sandwich
- Sriracha or chili paste, as desired
- 1 soft baguette, split and cut into 8 (2-inch) pieces
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- 16 thin slices English cucumber
- 1 fresh jalapeño, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 16 sprigs cilantro
- 8 lime wedges
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3/4 pound Alaska sablefish, boned, skinned, and cut into 8 (1 1/2-ounce) pieces
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup julienned daikon radish
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
Step 1 Marinate the sablefish
Mix soy and fish sauces in a bowl. Add cod and toss to coat. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour, turning cod pieces occasionally. Drain before cooking.
Step 2 Pickle vegetables
Mix vinegar, sugar, salt, and chili flakes in a medium bowl. Add carrot, radish, and onion, toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
Step 3 Heat sandwich bread
Heat baguette pieces in a 400-degree F oven for about 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp.
Step 4 Cook fish
Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add drained sablefish, and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until well cooked through. (It’s important to cook black cod all the way done to ensure tenderness.)
Step 5 Assemble sandwiches
Spread baguette pieces with mayonnaise, and then layer sandwich with cooked sablefish, cucumber, jalapeño, pickled veggies, and cilantro. Squeeze with fresh lime juice before serving. Drizzle with hot sauce if desired.