Alaska Halibut Tostada Bites with Pineapple Bacon Jam
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 min, not including jam cooling time
- Servings: 4-6
- Yield: 6 (1.5 oz) halibut bites
- 6 thin, slant-cut pieces Alaska Halibut, about 3/4- to 1-ounce each
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chipotle Salt (recipe follows)
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- 6 (2 3/4-inch-diameter) corn tortilla rounds, fried crispy and lightly seasoned
- 3 tablespoons mashed, seasoned, cooked black beans, warmed
- 1/2 cup very thinly shaved green and red cabbage
- 3 tablespoons Pineapple Bacon Jam, warmed (recipe follows)
- Garnish: cilantro sprigs, crumbled cotija cheese, and lime squeezes
Pineapple Bacon Jam
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 fresh ripe pineapple, cored, peel cut off, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (3 oz wt) 1/4-inch-diced raw bacon
- Chipotle Salt
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
Step 1 Make bacon jam
Pulse onion and pineapple in a food processor until chopped into 1/4-inch pieces. Transfer to a bowl and mix in hot sauce and vinegar.
Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high to high heat. Cook bacon until crispy and then remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add pineapple mixture to the hot bacon fat, and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until liquid is reduced and jam has begun to thicken. Continue to cook, stirring, until pan is slightly dry and mixture begins to caramelize. Increase heat to high if necessary to increase caramelization.
Remove from heat and stir in reserved bacon. Cool. Hold refrigerated for service.
Step 2 Make chipotle salt
Mix all ingredients. Store tightly covered. Remix before using as ingredients settle out on standing.
Step 3 Prepare fish
Pat fish dry and season on each side with chipotle salt. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat with a little vegetable oil. Sear the fish for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.
Step 4 Assemble bites
Divide black beans between tortillas. Top each with a little cabbage mixture and then top with fish. Dollop each tostada with pineapple bacon jam. Garnish with cilantro and a sprinkling of cotija cheese. Squeeze a little fresh lime juice over the top if desired.