Teriyaki-Braised Alaska Sablefish with Colorful Vegetables
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 4 Alaska sablefish fillets, fresh, thawed or frozen
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Riesling
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 4 green onions, cut in 3-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut in julienne (matchstick) pieces
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges and toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Step 1 Prepare the sablefish
Have all ingredients ready before beginning. Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska sablefish under cold water; pat dry with a paper towel. Brush both sides of sablefish with oil.
Step 2 Braise sablefish and add sauce
Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place sablefish in skillet and cook, uncovered, about 3-4 minutes, until browned. Shake pan occasionally to keep fish from sticking. Add teriyaki sauce and cook 2 minutes more; sauce will boil up.
Step 3 Add vegetables to pan
Turn fillets over, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add wine, bell pepper, green onions and carrot. Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook an additional 6-8 minutes for frozen or 3-4 minutes for fresh/thawed. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
Step 4 Plate and serve
Divide sablefish among 4 plates. Top fish with vegetables and sauce; garnish with lemon wedges and toasted sesame seeds. Serve with bowls of steamed jasmine rice on the side.