Alaska Salmon Okonomiyaki Pancake
Perfect for breakfast, lunch or a quick supper, these salmon pancakes are a healthy and delicious way to cook with canned salmon. Recipe photo credit Steve Lee.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 2
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 heaping teaspoons of pickled ginger, chopped
- 5 ounces pointed or sweetheart cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1, 7.5-ounce can Alaska salmon, well drained
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Extra salmon, to serve
- Sriracha sauce, to serve
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
Step 1 Mix the batter
In a bowl mix the eggs and flour together, then stir in the sesame oil and cooled vegetable stock, making sure that there are no lumps. Add the carrot, soy sauce, spring onions, ginger, cabbage and canned salmon to the batter, mixing until combined.
Step 2 Heat pan and make pancakes
Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Pour the batter into the frying pan, and fry for 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked and golden in color.
Step 3 Garnish and serve
Scatter over some extra salmon flakes if any remaining; garnish with Sriracha sauce and cilantro and serve.