- Prep Time: 6 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 min, not including 6 hr marinating time
- Servings: 4
- Yield: 4 (6 oz each) servings sole
- 4 ea Alaska sole fillets (about 6 oz each), refreshed
- 1 strip kombu (about 0.5 oz)
- 1 pt sake
- 1 cup tamari
- 1 cup mirin
- 2 ea Thai chilis
- 8 ea makrut lime leaf
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger, julienned
- 1 tbsp picked cilantro leaves
Step 1 Prep spicy tsuyu
Make spicy tsuyu by toasting kombu on a small sauté pan or on an open flame until it’s soft and pliable. Blend kombu and thai chili with all liquid.
Step 2 Prepare fish
Place sole filets on a baking pan large enough to fit fillets in one layer and marinate them with spicy tsuyu for at least 6 hours.
Add canola oil and makrut lime leaf in baking pan. Place the baking pan in a 350 F convection oven (400 F conventional oven) for about 5-7 minutes.
Step 3 To serve
Serve the fish with braising liquid, pickled ginger and cilantro.