- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 min, not including extensive refrigerated/pickling time
- Total Time: Minimum 48 hours
- Servings: 6 half-pint jars
- Yield: 4 to 6 oz salmon with pickled vegetables per serving
- 2 pounds Alaska Coho or Sockeye Salmon fillet, skinned, pin bones removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pickling spices
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 half-pint jars with lids
- 1/4 cup 1/4-inch-thick, half-slices red onion (1/4 to 1/2 ounce per jar)
- 12 thin slices cooked beet (1/2 to 3/4 ounce per jar)
- 6 large sprigs dill
- 1 jalapeño, cut into 6 rings
Step 1 Salt/blanch salmon
Read the recipe all the way through before beginning.
Place salmon pieces in a single layer in a hotel pan and sprinkle evenly with kosher salt. Let sit for 1 hour refrigerated, then rinse with cool water and drain well.
Blanch the salmon: In a large saucepan bring 2 quarts of water to a simmer. Add salmon and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until just barely cooked. With a slotted spoon remove salmon from poaching liquid and cool in refrigerator.
Step 2 Prepare pickling liquid
Combine vinegar, water, olive oil, spices, garlic, and sugar in a stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a simmer then remove from heat and let cool. Refrigerate until ready to assemble jars.
Step 3 Assemble and serve
Line up jars and evenly divide ingredients into them in the following order: half the salmon; 3 to 4 fluid ounces pickling liquid with some of the spices; red onions; beets; jalapeño rings; remaining half of the salmon cubes; and dill. Top off with remaining pickling liquid to cover salmon. Close lids tightly and refrigerate jars on a sheet pan for a minimum of 48 hours before serving. (Label and date sheet tray.) Pickled salmon will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 week.
To serve; drain pickling juice from the jar.
Note: This is not a preserving method; the jar is for presentation only and this must be considered a fresh-pickled item.