- Prep Time: 15 min, not including marinating time
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 21 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Yield: 5 oz halibut, assorted vegetables, rice noodles per serving
- 3 3/4 lbs. (12 each) Alaska Halibut fillets,* 5 oz. each (*Other Alaska Seafood such as cod or pollock may be substituted.)
- 1 1/2 cups hoisin sauce
- 24 crisp lettuce cups – iceberg, radicchio, or red leaf – or combination
- 6 oz. carrots, julienne
- 6 oz. bean sprouts
- 6 oz. crisp rice noodles
- 6 oz. green onions, slivered
- 3 oz. fresh cilantro leaves
- 24 oz. (3 cups) Spicy Rice Vinegar (see recipe)
Spicy Rice Vinegar
- 3 cups rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. jalapeños, seeded, minced
- 1/2 cup Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
Step 1 Prepare halibut
Brush halibut fillets with 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce on each side. Cover, refrigerate and marinate for a minimum of 2 hours. Hold refrigerated.
Step 2 Make spicy vinegar
Combine rice vinegar, jalapeños, fish sauce and soy sauce, mixing well.
Hold refrigerated. YIELD: 4 cups
Step 3 For each serving
Grill 1 halibut fillet for 2-3 minutes per side or until desired doneness; cooking time will vary depending on thickness of fillet. Hold warm.
Let halibut rest for 5 minutes while setting up serving plate and then slice into 1/4″ strips.
Divide halibut strips between 2 lettuce cups and place 1 on each side of serving plate.
Arrange 1/2 oz. carrots, 1/2 oz. bean sprouts, 1/2 oz. crisp rice noodles, 1/2 oz. green onions, and 1/4 oz. cilantro leaves in small mounds on serving plate.
Serve with a 2 oz. ramekin of Spicy Rice Vinegar.