Five Spiced Alaska Pollock Panko
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 min, not including jam cooling time
- Servings: 12
- Yield: 6 oz pollock, ⅔ cup rice, 2.5 oz salad per serving
- 22 ounces Tomato, diced, canned
- 4 ½ Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Ginger, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper, ground white
- 4 Cups Calrose rice, rinsed in water
- 32 fluid ounces Coconut milk, canned
- 4 Cups Water
- ½ Cup Coconut, shredded, sweetened, dried
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt, kosher
- 2 teaspoons Pepper
- 4 teaspoons Black sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons White sesame seeds
- 10 fluid ounces Rice vinegar
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Sesame oil
- ¼ cup + garnish Mint leaves
- 3 fluid ounces Mirin wine
- 3 Tablespoons Lime juice, fresh
- 3 Tablespoons Ginger, chopped
- 12 ounces Napa cabbage, julienne
- 6 ounces Daikon radish, julienne
- 6 ounces Carrot, julienne
- 6 ounces Radish sprouts
- 4-1/2 lbs. Alaska pollock fillet, boneless, cut into 2-ounce pieces
- 1-1/2 Cups Flour, all purpose
- 6 Tablespoons Custom 5-spice blend*
- 6 Eggs, whipped
- 4 to 5 Cups Panko
- As needed, Oil for frying
Step 1 Make tomato jam
Simmer tomatoes, sugar, ginger and rice vinegar on low heat until a thick sauce. Transfer to a food processor. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper; pulse a few times until chunky. Chill until serving.
Step 2 Make coconut rice
In a medium-size pot, add rice, coconut milk, water, coconut, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil and simmer, covered, on low for 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let rest for 10 minutes. Fluff and garnish with sesame seeds; keep warm.
Step 3 Make dressing
For dressing, add rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, mint, mirin, lime juice and ginger to food processor and blend on high for 30 seconds.
Step 4 Make salad
Lightly mix napa cabbage, daikon, carrot and radish sprouts with dressing.
Step 5 Prepare pollock and serve
Preheat oil for frying to 375°F. Mix flour and custom 5-spice blend. Dredge Alaska Pollock in flour mixture, then in egg, and finally roll in panko. Deep fry pollock pieces until floating and brown. Place on paper towel to drain.
For serving, arrange salad on plate with fried fish, coconut and a side of tomato jam.
*Custom 5-spice blend: one tablespoon each salt, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder; and 1/2 tablespoon cayenne, all blended together.