- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canola, corn or grapeseed oil
- 1 small head purple cabbage (about 1 pound)
- 1 small head green cabbage (about 1 pound)
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
- Seeds of 2 pomegranates (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup each herbs, leaves only: mint, cilantro and basil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 4 ounces dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice (or 1 tablespoon black peppercorns and 2 bay leaves)
- 2 pounds Alaska spot prawns, heads removed, shell on
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces roasted peanuts, chopped
Step 1 Fry the garlic
Heat the sesame oil over medium heat in pan; add garlic. Gently fry until golden brown. Strain out garlic, reserving oil. Blot garlic on paper towels to dry. If needed, crisp in 200F oven for 10-15 minutes. Blend cooled sesame oil with canola oil. Set garlic and oil aside. This step may be done up to a day ahead.
Step 2 Make the cabbage salad
Quarter cabbages; thinly slice each into a separate bowl. Rinse, strain and dry cabbages thoroughly; refrigerate if not using immediately (may be done up to a day ahead). Place cabbages into a large mixing bowl, season liberally with salt; toss lightly and let stand 5 minutes. Pour on lime juice, add tomatoes and pomegranate seeds. Thinly slice the herbs and lightly toss into salad.
Step 3 Boil the prawns
Prepare an ice bath and set aside. Boil 3 quarts water in a large pot; add salt, lemon and orange juices and zest, wine and pickling spice. Return to a boil; add prawns. Cook 3-4 minutes, just until prawn shells are bright and prawns are opaque throughout. Place prawns in ice bath for 1-2 minutes to chill. Remove prawns; peel off shells if preferred. In a bowl, coat prawns lightly with about 2-3 tablespoons of reserved oil blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4 Plate and serve
Drizzle just enough oil blend onto cabbage mixture salad to coat. Portion cabbage among 4 large bowls. Sprinkle on fried garlic and peanuts. Divide and place prawns over salad. Serve immediately.