- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Yield: 4(6 to 8oz.) pollock, 2 qt curry
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, whole
- ¼ tsp green cardamom seeds (or 1 pod)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¾ cup shallots, peeled
- 7 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp lemongrass, tough outer layer removed, sliced thinly
- 1 fresno chile pepper, stem removed
- 2 tbsp ginger, peeled, sliced 1/8” against the grain
- 1 tbsp turmeric root, fresh, peeled, rough chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or 75/25 oil blend
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 2 galangal root, ¼” medallion (optional)
- 2 lime leaves
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 Alaska pollock fillets, 6 to 8 oz. portions
- 4 nests egg noodles for boiling
- 1 nest egg noodles for frying
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut into 1” pieces, blanched or steamed
- 1 ½ cups bean sprouts
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced 1/8”
- 4 lime wedges
- ¼ cup cilantro, washed, rough chopped
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
Step 1 Make curry paste
Add the coriander, green cardamom, and cumin seeds to a pan and toss occasionally over medium heat until fragrant and toasted. Transfer to mortar & pestle or coffee grinder and grind. Add shallot, garlic, lemongrass, fresno chile, ginger, and turmeric root to a blender. Pulse to chop. Add the ground spices and add 1/4 cup water and puree. Set aside.
Step 2 Make curry sauce
In a preheated pan over medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil, then add all the curry paste and fry, stirring often, for about 3-4 minutes or until harshness of the shallots is cooked out, and the curry paste is thoroughly cooked.
Add the coconut cream, the slice of galangal root (optional), the lime leaves, and simmer gently for 4 minutes.
Add the brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, chicken stock and bring back to a gentle simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the fish to the pan to submerge in the curry sauce and gently simmer for 8-10 minutes or until fish is just cooked through. Remove from heat and cover loosely to hold hot.
Step 3 Make crispy noodles
Loosen one nest of egg noodles and divide into four small portions. One at a time, drop into a deep fryer preheated to 350F for about 30 seconds or until crispy and light golden brown.
Transfer to paper towels to drain excess grease and season lightly with a pinch of salt.
Loosen the egg noodles and cook 4 nests in boiling water, according to package instructions.
Step 4 To Serve
Strain, rinse, and split between 4 warmed bowls.
Ladle about 1 cup of sauce into each bowl, pouring over the noodles.
Transfer the fish, arranging on top of the noodles.
Arrange the garnishes in piles around fish: bean sprouts, red onions, lime wedge, cilantro, chili flakes. Place some crispy noodles on top of each fish and serve piping hot!