- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Yield: 6 oz salmon, 2 asparagus and ⅓ cup sauce per serving
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 1-1/2 sticks (6 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 Tablespoons (1 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
- 16 fresh asparagus spears, peeled at the thick part of the stem, trimmed and blanched
- 8 oz. shelled Alaska King Crab meat
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 4 (6 oz. each) Alaska King Salmon fillet portions, skin on
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
Step 1 Make Béarnaise sauce
In a heat-proof bowl (or the top of a double boiler) set over a pan of simmering water, vigorously whisk the egg yolks with the water and vinegar until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Slowly whisk the melted butter until thickened. Season with cayenne and salt; stir in fresh tarragon. Keep warm, covered.
Step 2 Prepare garnish and crab
To prepare the garnish, in a small sauté pan, heat half (1 tablespoon) of the butter. Add asparagus and warm through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a dish; hold warm.
In the same pan, melt remaining butter. When butter is hot, add crab meat and warm through (keeping the sections together). Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Remove to a dish; hold warm.
Step 3 Prepare salmon
Season the fish on all sides with the salt and pepper. In a 10-inch non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil. When oil is hot but not smoking, cook the salmon pieces 2 at a time, skin side down. Cook salmon until the flesh is cooked half way through and skin is crispy, approximately 4 minutes. Turn fillets over; cook additional 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining 2 fillets.
Step 4 To serve
Place 4 pieces of asparagus on the center of each plate crisscrossed. Set the salmon on asparagus, skin side up. Divide and portion crab meat on the top of the salmon fillets. Divide and drizzle the sauce on the crab meat, salmon and asparagus.