- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 6 (4 oz each) wild Alaska salmon fillets
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp sumac (see cook’s tip)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black onion seeds (or 1/2 tsp caraway seeds)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, roughly chopped and toasted
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 pomegranate (or 3 to 4 oz pomegranate seeds)
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro sprigs and lemon wedges, for garnish
Step 1 Season the salmon
Rub the salmon fillets with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix together the sumac, cumin seeds, black onion seeds and sesame seeds; sprinkle over the salmon.
Step 2 Cook the onions and salmon
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the red onions for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the salmon fillets and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes, adding the almonds for the final 2-3 minutes.
Step 3 Make the dressing and serve
Mix the remaining olive oil with the pomegranate molasses and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the salmon on a platter, drizzled with the dressing and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds. Garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges.