1/2 cup canola oil
48 Alaska Weathervane Scallops, cleaned
Salt, as needed
12 cups Saffron Arroz, warm (see recipe)
1 1/2 cups lemon butter, melted, warm
Black pepper, fresh cracked, as needed
6 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
3 Tbsp. canola oil
3 tsp. garlic, minced
3 tsp. jalapeño, minced
2 1/4 cups carrots, small dice
2 1/4 cups celery, small dice
2 1/4 cups red onion, small dice
1 1/2 tsp. saffron threads
6 cups long grain rice
9 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups roasted red bell pepper, small dice
3/4 cup green olives, pimento stuffed, sliced
3/4 cup chorizo sausage, casing removed, sautéed
To make 1 portion:
- Heat a skillet until almost smoking. Add 1 Tbsp. canola oil.
- Season 4 scallops lightly on both sides with salt.
- Add the scallops to the hot pan and sear on one side until a rich dark brown, 1-2 minutes, turn and repeat on second side.
- Place scallops on serving plate and serve with 1 cup Saffron Arroz.
- Drizzle with 1/8 cup of warm lemon butter.
- Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. of cilantro.
- Ready to serve.
- Heat oil in saucepot over medium heat.
- Add garlic, jalapeño, carrots, celery and onion, sauté until tender.
- Add the saffron and rice, cook until lightly browned.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is done, 20-25 minutes.
- Fold in roasted peppers, olives and chorizo, hold warm. YIELD: 12 cups