1 3.3 lb. pouch or 64 oz. can* red or pink Alaska Salmon,
drained (reserve liquid)
4 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1 cup water, cold
1 1/2 cups water, hot
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. lemon zest, grated
1 lb. cream cheese, softened
1 lb. sour cream
1/4 cup fresh dill or parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
Crackers for serving
Tomato and cucumber, sliced for garnish
Dill or parsley sprigs for garnish
*For canned, remove skin and bones
- In large bowl, gently break drained salmon into large chunks. Set aside along with reserved liquid.
- In medium bowl, dissolve gelatin by sprinkling it over cold water. Mix well. Add hot water, lemon juice, lemon zest and reserved salmon liquid to gelatin mixture and mix.
- In mixer bowl with paddle, blend cream cheese, sour cream and dill or parsley until smooth. Add salmon and mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add gelatin and cream cheese mixtures; blend well.
- Pour mousse into molds or large bowl lined with plastic food wrap. Cover and chill approximately 4 hours or until set. Hold cold for service.
- To serve, spread on crackers and garnish with slices of cucumber and tomato.
For individual appetizer servings, pour mousse into 4 oz. ramekins. Garnish for service.