1 3.3 lb. pouch or 64 oz. can* red or pink Alaska
1/2 cup olive oil
20 oz. (8 cups) eggplant, medium, cubed 1/2"
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 tsp. sugar, dark brown
20 oz. (4 cups) tomatoes, medium, seeded and
24 oz. (4 cups) white navy beans, canned, rinsed
4 oz. (1 cup) black or Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1/4 cup fresh mint or parsley, chopped
6 oz. (6 cups) baby spinach, arugula or watercress,
8 oz. (2 cups) Feta cheese, crumbled
Mint leaves for garnish
*For canned, remove skin and bones
- In large bowl, gently break drained salmon into large chunks. Set aside.
- In large sauté pan, heat olive oil and add eggplant, onion and garlic. Cook 8-10 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and place into large bowl. Sprinkle with vinegar, lemon juice and sugar. Toss together and let cool.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, olives and mint or parsley. Add spinach or other greens and salmon chunks. Toss gently. Hold cold for service.
- To serve, place salad into large serving bowl. Garnish with feta cheese and mint leaves. Portion 1 cup per serving.
- Substitute zucchini and yellow squash for eggplant.
- Substitute chick peas for white navy beans.
- Offer freshly ground black pepper at service.
- Serve with side of tzatziki, creamy Greek cucumber yogurt sauce.