Pumpkin Alfredo with Seared Alaska Scallops
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 2-3
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- 1/3 cup finely grated pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (substitute 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast for dairy free)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (substitute avocado oil for dairy free)
- 15 fresh sage leaves
- ¾ pound Alaska scallops, patted dry
- 2, 14-ounce cans hearts of palm linguine, rinsed and drained
Step 1 Make the sauce
Whisk the pumpkin puree and cream in a saucepan. Warm over medium heat until steam begins to rise from the edges. Add the cheese or nutritional yeast and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
Step 2 Prepare the sage
Line a small plate with paper towels. Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once the melted butter is hot, add the sage leaves and fry for about a minute per side, until darkened and crispy. Transfer the leaves to the paper towel-lined plate.
Step 3 Sear the scallops
Add the scallops to the butter, which should be beginning to brown. Sear for about two minutes per side, or until just cooked through. Smaller scallops may cook more quickly.
Step 4 Toss linguine in the sauce and serve
Toss the hearts of palm linguine with the pumpkin alfredo and divide between plates. Top with the seared scallops and crispy sage leaves and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. Serve hot.