Gluten-free Fritto Misto with Alaska Seafood
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Servings: 4-6
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup club soda
- Avocado oil for frying (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 pound Alaska spot prawns, peeled (leave tails on if desired)
- 1/2 pound Alaska scallops
- 1/2 pound Alaska pollock or cod fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red onion, thickly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into thin sticks
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- Lemon wedges
- Sea salt
Step 1 Make the lemon aioli
Mix the mayonnaise, garlic, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Taste and add more lemon if desired.
Step 2 Make the batter
Whisk the tapioca flour, cassava flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the club soda and whisk until smooth.
Step 3 Make the fritto misto
Add oil to a large, deep skillet until it reaches a depth of about an inch. Heat the oil to 375F. Line a large baking sheet or tray with paper towels. Dip the seafood and vegetables into the batter in batches and add them to the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown on the bottom, then gently flip and fry until golden brown on the other side. Transfer to the towel-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining seafood and vegetables, making sure to give the oil a minute to heat back up between batches.
Step 4 Season and serve
Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot with lemon wedges for squeezing and lemon aioli for dipping.