Crispy Alaska Cod BLT Sandwich
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 fillet of Alaska cod (about 1 ½ pounds), cut into six pieces to fit bun size
- Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 potato roll buns
- 1 large tomato, thickly sliced
- 12 slices of bacon, cooked till crispy (alternative: add capers for saltiness)
- Fresh dill
- Sliced dill kosher pickles
- Butter or romaine lettuce leaves, for serving
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 garlic clove, grated
Step 1 Mix the batter
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, water, baking powder, and salt until smooth. The batter will bubble up, but continue to stir until the bubbles dissipate and the batter is smooth. Add spices, stir again.
Step 2 Fry the cod
Line a baking sheet with paper towels and top with a wire cooling rack; set aside. Heat 1.5 inches of oil in a small cast iron skillet until it shimmers but isn’t smoking. Dip one piece of cod into the batter and drop directly into the skillet with oil. Cook each fillet one at a time, about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown with an internal temperature of 145F. Place fried fillets on the wire cooling rack to drain. Continue this process with each piece of cod.
Step 3 Make the sandwich spread
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic and set aside.
Step 4 Assemble sandwiches
Toast the buns. Spread mayonnaise mixture on each bun. Layer on pickles, dill, fish, tomatoes, bacon and lettuce. Serve immediately.