December 2015 Report
ASMI contracted with McDowell Group to assess the economic value Alaska’s commercial seafood industry. The report provides figures on employment, labor income, seafood value, exports, taxes, and more.
- The seafood industry directly employs 60,000 workers, including nearly 27,000 Alaska residents
- Seafood is Alaska’s second-largest basic sector industry, in terms of total job creation
- The industry generated $129 million in state and local tax revenue in 2014
- Alaska seafood created $14.6 billion in economic output and nearly 112,000 jobs nationally
- Seafood lowers the cost of living in many Alaska communities
- Economic benefits of the industry are distributed throughout Alaska