ALASKA SOLE - A WIDE RANGE OF DELICACIES
The icy, clear waters of Alaska are home to some of the most treasured
species of Sole, also referred to as flounder. Alaska Sole are highly
valued and can be found on a wide range of foodservice menus - from
employee cafeterias to white tablecloth establishments. Alaska Sole
are synonymous with fish of great freshness and quality.Five of the
most popular species of sole harvested in Alaska are Dover, Rex, Rock,
Flathead and Yellowfin.
Five Species of Alaska Sole
- Known for its delicate mild flavor and tender texture.
- Excellent variety of options for menu applications.
- The average weight is one to two pounds.
- Very easy to prepare and offers excellent plate coverage and low
- This flavorful seafood item can be found on a wide range of foodservice
- The recipes that best complement Alaska Sole are those that enhance
rather than overpower their flavor.
- The best cooking methods for Alaska Sole require minimal handling
of the fish.
- Alaska Sole's excellence and pre-portioned convenience, make it
one of the best-valued flatfish you can purchase.
- Commonly marketed as skinless, boneless, frozen fillets, Alaska
Sole are ready-to-use.
Click here for photos and additional
specific information on the five species of Alaska Sole.
Supply and Availability
- Alaska Sole is harvested year-round
- Available regularly at reasonable prices.
- Alaska Sole are commercially harvested from February through November.
|Serving Size 3.5 oz.
||Saturated Fat (g)
||4 x 10 lbs.
||3 x 15 lbs.
||1-1/2 to 3 oz.
3 to 5 oz.
||3 x 16.5 lbs.
||3 to 5 oz.,
5 to 8 oz.
> Cod, Halibut,