UP TO FROZEN FISH
- It is important to note that when the word "fresh" is
applied to seafood, it doesn't necessarily mean that the fish was
harvested recently, or is of top quality.
- The best tasting, highest-quality seafood is often frozen and it's
not surprising that Alaska, the largest commercial fishing industry
in the country, is also the leader in seafood innovation.
- Alaska has developed state-of-the-art freezing and processing technology
as a superior method of preserving the quality of Alaska Seafood as
soon as it leaves the water.
- Harvested at the peak of freshness, Alaska Seafood is quick-chilled,
carefully processed and rapidly frozen within hours of leaving the
water. (Alaska Crab is pre-cooked before freezing).
- The methods used ensure that its unique flavor, flesh color, texture
and nutritional value are preserved for year-round dining pleasure.
- After grading, the fish are individually quick-frozen and glazed.
This is achieved by dipping the frozen fish in a water and sugar solution
that seals air away from the fish.
- The quality of seafood cannot be improved once the fish leaves the
water, it can only be maintained, and Alaska's industry experts have
made every effort to ensure that Alaska Seafood reaches your door
with its just-caught freshness locked in.
- When handled correctly, Alaska Seafood will consistently live up
to your customers' highest expectations.
- Advantages of "frozen" is that you can menu all of the
delicious flavors of the varieties of Alaska Seafood year-round, knowing
Alaska's fresh-frozen quality remains far and away the worlds finest.
- Fish may also be vacuum packed before freezing.
Here are a few other facts you should know about frozen Alaska Seafood:
- According to the National Marine Fisheries Service, the average
person can not distinguish truly fresh fish from fish that is rapidly
frozen and properly prepared.
- Numerous studies have shown that most consumers do not taste a difference
between high-quality frozen seafood and high-quality fresh seafood.
- In fact, the majority of chefs and consumers prefer the distinctive
flavor of Alaska Seafood varieties, regardless of whether it's been
- Fresh-frozen Alaska Seafood also offers you one of the best seafood
values for the money.
- Follow the instructions for receiving, storage and thawing to ensure
that quality is maintained.
See information on Purchasing
See information on Receiving and Storage
>Back to Salmon, Whitefish
or Shellfish sections.